Layers of pasta, butternut squash, spinach, basil pesto with a crunchy ricotta cheese topping. A super simple, vegetarian take on your classic lasagna.
Prep 30 minutes
Cook 40 minutes
1 pack lasagne sheets (we love Diamond)
1 jar green pesto (we love Delmaine)
1 large yellow squash, peeled and roughly chopped
2 cups veggie stock (We love Greggs)
50g sundried tomatoes – roughly chopped (we love Delmaine)
1 onion finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
½ tsp chilli flakes (We love Greggs)
½ tsp nutmeg (We love Greggs)
A handful of spinach leaves
A handful of fresh basil (we love Superb Herb)
500g container cottage cheese
2 large eggs
½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
1.5 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (we love Olivado)
We used Le Creuset heavy based fry pan to make the veggie mixture and a Le Creuset baking dish to make the lasagna
- Bring 2L of veggie stock to boil and gently place in the butternut squash cubes – cook until tender, roughly 10 minutes. Drain and keep the stock.
- In a deep fry pan over a medium heat, fry off the onion and garlic until tender. Add the chopped sundried tomatoes, chilli flakes and nutmeg. Add the cooked butternut squash and spinach and mash up with a fork with a cup of the reserved veggie stock.
- In a separate bowl to stir together the eggs, ricotta or cottage cheese, 1 cup mozzarella, and ¼ cup Parmesan
- Heat oven to 190C.
- In a deep baking dish layer the lasagne sheets, butternut and spinach mixture, basil pesto, eggy cheesy mixture and basil leaves. Repeat until you have done at least 3 layers. Top with the remaining cheese and basil leaves plus a drizzle of oil.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Devour.