The aroma of the South Indian spices wafting through the kitchen when you are making this curry transport you to the backwaters of Kerala. The combination of chicken, curry leaves, mustard seeds, turmeric and creamy coconut is an absolute winner.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
1 tbsp coconut oil (we love Olivado)
4x free-range chicken thighs (we love Waitoa)
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tsp ginger, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 red chilli, finely chopped
A handful fresh curry leaves
2 large tomatoes diced
500ml chicken stock
1 tbsp Honey
1/2 pot natural coconut yoghurt (we love Coconut Collaborative)
Naan bread to serve (we love Giannis)
Optional: Coriander to serve
We used a Le Creuset casserole dish to do the roast
- In a deep heavy based fry pan over a medium heat, fry off the onion, ginger, garlic, chilli, mustard seeds, turmeric, curry leaves and cumin in the coconut oil for 10 minutes until onions are translucent and spices are fragrant.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and chicken stock and stir to combine. Bring to the boil and then turn down to a gentle simmer.
- Add the chicken and cover for 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through
- Add the coconut yoghurt, honey and loads of fresh coriander and stir to combine. Season to taste.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with extra coconut yoghurt and warm naan bread