For a quick and easy family dinner, try this hearty cottage pie packed with succulent chicken, crispy bacon, topped with golden potatoes and rich cheddar cheese. Full of flavour, simple to make and child friendly. The perfect midweek meal.
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
For the pie mixture-
4 boneless, skinless Chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces (we love Waitoa)
8 rashers Streaky Bacon (We love Hellers)
1 onion, sliced thinly
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp flour
1/4 cup white wine (we love Ara)
½ cup chicken stock (we love Simon Gaults)
2 Tbsp crème fraiche
Olive Oil (we love Olivado)
For the potato top
We used a Le Creuset stoneware dish to bake our pie.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Lightly grease a large baking dish.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or shallow casserole. Add the chicken and bacon and cook until golden. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until softened. Scatter over the flour and stir well.
- Gradually pour in the wine and chicken stock and cook for 5 mins or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened. Stir the crème fraiche into the chicken mixture and season well. Transfer the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Meanwhile make the mashed potato. Peel and cut the potatoes into small pieces. Cook in slightly salted water until the potato is well cooked. Discard excess cooking water and mash. Beat in the milk to make the mash soft and smooth. Season well. Stir in parsley and cheese.
- Spoon the potato mixture over the chicken, then top with a little more cheese. Bake in the oven until the topping is golden and crisp.