Soft and squishy bao buns filled with crispy fried chicken, crunchy fresh salad, fragrant herbs and sriracha mayo goodness. This recipe is great for the whole family! Surprisingly easy to assemble and even easier to eat!
For the chicken –
4x chicken boneless thighs (we love Waitoa)
1/2 cup plain flour
salt and pepper
1/2 cup buttermilk
½ cup spicy Coat N Cook (we love Diamond)
Liquid coconut oil for shallow frying (we love Olivado)
To serve –
12 Premade frozen Bao Buns (we love United Food Co)
¼ Iceberg Lettuce – thinly shredded
1/2 small red onion – thinly sliced
8 baby gherkins – thinly sliced
a handful of Coriander
2 thinly sliced Spring onions
- Coat the chicken thighs in seasoned flour then coat in buttermilk. Finally smother in the coat n cook crumb mix and set aside.
- Heat liquid coconut oil over a medium heat in a deep heavy based pan. Fry the chicken for 5 minutes on each side constantly rotating so the chicken doesn’t burn. Shake off excess oil and transfer onto paper towels. Slice chicken pieces into thirds.
- Heat bao buns according to packet instructions.
- To serve, open your bao buns – smear with mayo and sriracha, top with iceberg, onion, gherkins, and a slice of fried chicken – finish off with spring onion and coriander.
- Enjoy while fresh and hot!