Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb with Pesto Pasta Salad
Rack of lamb and pasta salad – what could be more New Zealand than that? Herb crusted rack of lamb with a side of pesto and roast balsamic tomato pasta salad is a great combination sure to impress your guests!
Prep Time: 30 Minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Serves: 4
For the Lamb
- 4 racks of lamb – frenched, trimmed (we love Pure NZ Lamb)
- 1 cup bread crumbs (we love Diamond)
- Handful of flat leaf parsley – finely chopped (we love Superb Herb)
- Handful of mint – finely chopped (we love Superb Herb)
- Handful of rosemary – finely chopped (we love Superb Herb)
- Salt and pepper
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil (we love Olivado)
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard (we love Delmaine)
For the Pasta Salad
- 450g pack vegetable spirals (we love Diamond)
- 1 pot fresh basil pesto (we love Delmaine)
- 1 bag baby spinach
- 1 punnet vine cherry tomatos (we love Beekist)
- 2 tbsp balsamic glaze (we love Delmaine)
- 1 tbsp honey (we love Mother Earth)
- A handful of basil (we love Superb Herb)
We love serving this beautiful lamb salad with a bold Shiraz to cut through and enhance those herbs. (We love Giesen Shiraz)
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions – drain and rinse under cool water. Set aside.
- Stir together bread crumbs, parsley, mint, rosemary, salt, and pepper in a bowl, then drizzle with oil and toss until combined well.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Season lamb with salt and pepper. Heat a drizzle of oil in a large heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then brown lamb 1 rack at a time, turning once, about 4 minutes per rack. Transfer to a roasting pan, arranging fatty sides up.
- Spread fatty sides of each rack with 2 teaspoons mustard. Divide bread crumb mixture into 3 portions and pat each portion over mustard coating on each rack, gently pressing to stick.
- Roast the lamb for roughly 20 minutes or until thermometer inserted diagonally 2 inches into center (do not touch bone) registers 55°C (for medium-rare), and transfer to a cutting board. Rest for at least 10 minutes then cut into chops.
- Place the tomatoes on a deep baking tray and drizzle with balsamic, olive oil and honey. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft.
- In a large bowl, mix the pasta, the tomatoes and the baby spinach. Stir through the pesto and toss well.
- Cut the lamb into chops and serve with the salad.