Chocolate Beetroot Minicakes
Beetroot and chocolate is a killer combo! The beets not only add a moist, dense texture to the cakes, they also give the cakes a nutritious earthy flavour and feel. Dress with cute pink cream cheese icing for your next tea party!
Makes: 12 mini cakes
For the cake:
80g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
50g dark cocoa powder
100g caster sugar
2 eggs (we love Woodland)
100g cooked beetroot
100 ml vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
12 muffin cases
For the cream cheese icing:
100g cream cheese
2 tbsp cream
2 tbsp icing sugar
1 tsp beetroot powder (we love Chantals Organics)
We used Le Creuset Non-stick Muffin tin to make these cakes
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Line each hole of the muffin pan with paper case.
- Drain the cooked beetroot. Puree in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla. Beat together well. Add the beetroot puree.
- Sift the flour, baking soda and cocoa into the wet mixture. Combine well.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until risen and cooked.
- Remove from the oven, then cool completely on a cake rack.
- Beat the cream cheese to soft creamy texture. Add cream, icing sugar and beetroot powder. Mix well to make a soft, pink cream icing.
- When the cakes are cold, top each one generously with the pink icing. Enjoy!