Crispy deep fried coconut prawns served in homemade taco bowls filled with crunchy fresh iceberg lettuce, spicy, sweet avocado salsa and a zesty coconut lime aioli – next level deliciousness!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
For the prawns-
1 cup large king prawns, peeled, deveined, tails intact (we love United Fisheries)
1/4 cup plain flour
1/2 cup shredded coconut (we love Alison’s Pantry)
1/2 cup panko crumbs
Vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
For the salsa-
1/4 a Pineapple – diced finely (we love Dole)
1 Avocado – diced finely (we love New Zealand Avocado)
1 Lime – zest and juice
1 Chilli – diced finely
1/2 Red Onion – diced finely
A handful of Coriander – finely chopped (we love Superb Herb)
For the coconut lime aioli-
½ cup of natural Coconut yoghurt
1 Lime zest & juice
1 Garlic clove – minced
½ tsp smoked paprika
We used Le Creuset ramekins and a Le Creuset non-stick oven tray to make the Taco bowls
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease 8 large ramekins with oil.
- One at a time, press your wraps into each ramekin (you may need to microwave to soften first),Bake for 10 minutes or until you have beautiful golden crispy taco bowls. Set aside.
- Place flour in a bowl. Add prawns. Toss to coat.
- Whisk egg in a shallow bowl.
- Combine coconut and breadcrumbs on a plate.
- Dip 1 prawn in egg mixture, then breadcrumb mixture. Place on a plate. Repeat with remaining prawns, egg mixture and breadcrumb mixture. Pop in the fridge to sit until you are ready to fry.
- To make the salsa, combine all of the salsa ingredients, stir to combine and season to taste
- To make the coconut aioli, combine all of the aioli ingredients, stir to combine and season to taste
- In a large heavy based fry pan over a high heat, heat the oil for frying. Fry off the prawns very carefully until golden brown and drain off extra oil with a paper towel.
- Fill your taco bowls with iceberg lettuce, salsa, coconut aioli, crispy prawns and fresh herbs. Devour!