Carbonara with Bacon, Walnut Crumb and Parmesan Fried Egg
Creamy, herby carbonara with a crunchy, salty bacon and walnut crumb, topped with a runny parmesan fried egg. This indulgent pasta recipe is perfect for that special occasion and will be sure to impress your loved ones.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 20 Minutes Serves: 2
1 Packet of pre-cooked spaghetti (we love Diamond)
Olive oil to drizzle
For the crumb:
100g walnuts – roasted (we love Alison’s Pantry)
6 strips of streaky bacon
½ cup panko crumbs
For the carbonara sauce:
¼ cup grated parmesan (we love Perfect Italiano)
1 free-range egg (we love Woodland)
½ cup milk (we love Anchor)
A handful of parsley and thyme – roughly chopped (we love Superb herb)
Salt & pepper
We used a Le Creuset non stick fry pan to make our carbonara
Wine Match – Serve with a crispy bottle of Giesen Riesling
- In a bowl whisk together the egg, milk, parmesan, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Using a little olive oil In a fry pan over a medium heat, fry off the bacon, walnuts and panko crumbs until golden. Blitz in the food processor until fine but still a little chunky. Set aside.
- Heat the spaghetti as per pack instructions.
- In the same pan over a low heat, toss the cooked spaghetti with the egg, herb and parmesan mixture. Stir quickly and constantly until a creamy carbonara sauce is formed and just coats the spaghetti. Make sure you do not overcook as it will turn into scrambled eggs!
- Lastly, heat another non-stick fry pan over a medium heat. Sprinkle your finely grated parmesan in two areas and crack the eggs in the centre of each cluster of parmesan. Fry off until parmesan is golden and egg white is cooked but yolk is still runny. Use a lid if necessary.
- Seve the pasta into two serving bowls. Top with parmesan fried eggs, walnut bacon crumb and some extra fresh herbs.