Streaky caramelised bacon, ricotta and asparagus puff pastry tart with a dash of zesty, spicy goodness.. The perfect rustic summer recipe for any garden party or picnic.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook time 35 minutes
Natural Avocado cooking oil (we love Olivado)
1 packet Streaky Bacon – ( we love Kiwi Bacon)
1 roll (350g) Puff Pastry (we love Paneton Bakery)
1 bunch Asparagus – blanched and refreshed
1 cup ricotta (we love Perfect Italiano)
200g Goat Cheese
1 Lemon – zest grated
1 tsp Chilli Flakes (we love Chantal Organics)
A drizzle Honey (we love Airborne)
A handful of Fresh Basil (we love Superb Herb)
1 free-range egg – beaten (we love Frenz)
Ara Pinot Gris – wine match
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the puff pastry on the baking tray. Using a small sharp knife, gently score a 2cm border around the edge of the pastry and prick the centre with a fork.
- Using a pastry brush (or your fingers if you don’t have one) brush the 2cm edge all the way round the rectangle with the beaten egg.
- Spread the centre square of the pasty with ricotta, lemon zest and chilli flakes leaving the border uncovered by the filling.
- Evenly but rustically place the blanched and refreshed asparagus on top of the ricotta mixture and ribbon the raw bacon strips in between.Dot with chunks of goats cheese. Drizzle with avocado cooking oil, honey and a few extra chilli flakes.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes until edges have risen and pastry and bacon is golden and crispy!
- Remove from the oven and garnish with fresh basil leaves.
Serving suggestion: Serve with a crispy glass of Ara Pinot Gris