This is a perfect summer family meal recipe. Flavourful Mediterranean lamb Meatballs cooked with fragrant fennel. It will become your family favourite.
Prep 15 min
Cook 1 hr 15 min
For the meat balls-
500g Minced Lamb (We love Pure South)
1 small onion, chopped finely
50g breadcrumbs (We love Diamond Coat’n’Cook Original)
1 teaspoon cumin
A handful dill, chopped (We love Superb Herb)
A handful parsley, chopped (We love Superb Herb)
1 fennel bulbs (We love Fresh Grower)
3 tbsp extra virgin Avocado Oil (We love Olivado)
1 cup dry white wine (We love Ara Sauvignon Blanc)
1 jar of tomato pizza sauce, (We love Chantal Organics)
1 lemon – peel shaved into long strips, then cut into rounds
2 tbsp pine nuts, lightly toasted (We love Alison’s Pantry)
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Put the mince in a large bowl with the breadcrumbs, onion, parsley, dill, ½ tsp salt and a generous grind of black pepper. Mix to combine, then shape into about 30 golf-ball-sized balls.
- Trim the fennel, discarding the stalks but reserving the fronds for garnish. Cut each bulb in half lengthways, then cut into 2cm-wide wedges.
- Heat a heavy bottomed casserole dish over medium heat. Fry the meatballs in 2 batches with a drizzle of avocado oil, turning regularly, for 5 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan, add some more avocado oil and saute the fennel wedges for 3 minutes or until browned all over. Add the white wine then once it’s bubbling, stir in the tomatoes, lemon and season well. Once the mix has come to a boil, lower the heat to low, cover the pan and leave to simmer gently for 10 minutes, until the fennel starts to soften.
- Stir in the meatballs to the pan and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with the pine nuts and reserved fennel fronds.