This showstopper meringue layer cake is incredibly festive, with layers of crispy but chewy pistachio meringue, yoghurt mousse, fresh berries and lashings of honey. Your guests will be blown away!
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minnutes
To assemble the cake
1 punnet(250g) fresh strawberries
½ cup freeze-dried raspberries
¼ cup roasted pistachios, shelled – finely chopped (we love Alison’s Pantry)
Matched with Ara Single Estate Rose.
- Preheat oven to 200?C
- Pour sugar onto a lined baking tray and bake for 10 minutes.
- Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. Draw 2 10cm diameter circles on each piece of paper.
- Beat egg whites with a high speed electric mixer until stiff. Take sugar out of the oven and turn oven down to 100?C. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tbsp at a time whilst beating at high speed until mixture is glossy, stiff peaks form, and sugar dissolves.
- Spoon meringue mixture onto circles drawn on the baking parchment paper,spreading to cover each circle completely. Scatter pistachios. Bake for 1 hour 15 hour minutes or until the bases of the meringue remain intact when you lift off the baking tray.
- Meanwhile, make the honey yoghurt cream. Whip cream with an electric mixer until stiff. Add the yoghurt and honey and whip to combine.
- To assemble the layer cake, carefully remove 1 meringue from baking paper, place on a serving plate. Spread ¼ honey yoghurt cream over meringue. Top with some sliced strawberries and freeze-dried raspberries. Repeat layers. Top with a heap of Honey Yoghurt cream, decorated with strawberries, pistachios, honey and rose petals .
- Serve with a glass of chilled Ara Single Estate Pinot Noir Rose.