Spiced white wine poached apples make for the perfect twist on the classic trifle. Sponge cake layered with poached apples and fluffy hazelnut ricotta cream is a winner at the Xmas dinner table.
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
For the wine poached apples
1kg apples, eighths and cored (we love Jazz Apples)
1 Lemon – sliced
1 bottle white wine (we love Giesen Sauvignon Blanc)
¾ cup golden sugar (we love Chantal Organics)
2 star anise
2 cinnamon sticks
2 knobs of butter (we love Anchor )
1 store bought trifle sponge
For the hazelnut cream
1 tub (250g) Ricotta cheese (we love Perfect Italiano)
1 cup cream(we love Anchor)
3 tbsp multi floral honey (we love Airborne)
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped (we love Alison’s Pantry)
Extra toasted hazelnuts to garnish
- In a heavy bottomed pot, place apples, cinnamon sticks, star anise, sugar, honey and lemon. Pour wine and cover. Cook gently for 20-30 minutes until apples are soft. Strain the apples. Reserve the poaching liquid.
- Caramelise a few apple pieces for the topping – fry in a little butter and honey until golden and caramelised. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat ricotta, cream, honey and vanilla with an electric mixer until thick. Stir in ½ the hazelnuts. Cover and chill until ready to assemble trifle.
- In a trifle bowl, or individual glasses, line a single layer of sponge, drizzle with poaching liquid. Then add a single layer of poached apples.Spoon over hazelnut cream. Repeat to your desired layers.
- Decorate with the caramelised apples and some extra toasted hazelnuts,cinnamon sticks and star anise.
- Refrigerate until serving.