Kumara Burger, Poached Egg & Avocado
A nutrient packed dish for an active weekend brekkie! The veggie burgers are really handy to have in the fridge – we recommend always having some handy as a kitchen staple alongside the eggs and avos.
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 15 minutes Serves: 4
1 packet kumara burgers
Extra virgin avocado oil (we love Olivado)
4 free range eggs (we love Woodland)
A drop of white vinegar
2 cups baby spinach (we love The Fresh Grower)
2 avocados (we love NZ Avocado)
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp smoked paprika
- Heat oven to 180C and line a baking tray with parchment.
- Lay the portobello mushrooms on the tray and top with garlic, thyme, avocado oil, salt and pepper. Bake for 20-30 minutes.
- Cook the kumara burgers in a frypan or barbeque with a drizzle of extra virgin avocado oil. Keep warm.
- Wilt spinach in slightly salted water and refresh. Drain and squeeze excess water out.
- In a bowl, smash the avocado flesh with a fork with lemon juice, salt, black pepper and paprika.
- Poach eggs. One at a time. In a saucepan, bring at least 5 cm deep water to a simmer. Add a drop of vinegar. Stir the water to create a gentle whirlpool to help the egg white to wrap around the yolk. Break the egg in a small bowl then gently tip it in the centre. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the egg white is set. Lift the egg out with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Repeat.
- Place a kumara burger on a serving plate. Top with spinach, mushroom, avo smash and poached egg. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, garnish with garlic chives and thyme – drizzle of extra virgin avocado oil.