Chorizo & Cheddar Breakfast Waffles
Savoury corn waffles packed with spicy chorizo and tasty cheddar cheese topped with fried eggs, fresh kale and herbs.
Prep time:15 minutes
Cook time:20 minutes
For the waffle batter
4 chorizo sausage, chopped finely (we love Hellers)
1 ½ cup buttermilk
½ cup butter, melted (we love Anchor)
1 tbsp sugar (we love Chantal Organics)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 large eggs(we love Woodland)
½ cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
½ cup grated cheddar cheese (we love Mainland)
- Fry off the chorizo until golden. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, shift in the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and baking soda. Mix well. In another bowl, mix together buttermilk, sugar, a pinch of salt, eggs,melted butter and chorizo. Combine the wet and dry mix with a spatula.
- Heat the waffle maker with a dash of avocado cooking oil. When hot, pour the waffle batter. Sprinkle a little cheese and cook until done. Repeat until all batter is used up.
- Fry eggs until white is cooked but yolk is still runny. Stir fry the kale quickly with a dash of avocado oil to just warm through and season.
- Stack the waffles with relish, kale and top with fried egg and fresh herbs.