Southern Fried Chicken & Cornbread
A classic Southern American comfy food combo. In this recipe the chicken is double coated, resulting super crispy outside and juicy inside. And the great fried chicken is naturally paired with fresh homemade cornbread. Just beautiful.
Prep time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 45 minutes Serves: 4
For the fried chicken:
8 chicken drumsticks (we love Waitoa)
For the dry coating:
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
Oil for deep frying
For the cornbread:
2 onions, chopped
A drizzle of olive oil (we love Olivado)
1 can corn kernels
4 large free-range eggs (we love Woodland)
1 3/4 cups coarse cornmeal or polenta
1 cup milk (we love Anchor)
1 teaspoon baking powder (we love Chantal Organics)
6 tablespoons plain flour (we love Chantal Organics)
150g grated cheddar cheese (we love Mainland)
3 fresh red chillies, seeds removed and finely chopped
Garnish with cress (we love Superb Herb)
A great chicken dinner cannot be served without great wine! Giesen Sauvignon Blanc would just work magic.
- Season the chicken with plenty of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Make the cornbread. In a non stick frying pan over medium hot heat, fry the onion with a drizzle of olive oil until soft. Set aside to cool. Break eggs in a large bowl. Add the corn, chilli, milk, cheese, cooked onions, plain flour, cornmeal and baking powder. Mix well. Line the bottom of a 21 cm round cake tin and drizzle olive oil over the baking paper. Pour cornbread mixture. Scatter more chilli, cheese and black pepper on top and bake in the oven 200C for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- While the cornbread is in oven, make fried chicken.In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients of the wet coating.In another bowl, mix plain flour, salt, parlika and cayenne pepper to make the dry coating.
- Dip the chicken drumsticks in the wet coating, then coat in the spicy dry coating. Deep fry in medium hot oil for 12-15 minutes until cooked through and golden & crunchy.
- Drain the fried chicken on kitchen towel and serve immediately with warm corn bread and salad greens.
Giesen Sauvignon Blanc matches perfectly with this Southern American style chicken dinner.