Apple & Cardamom Hot Cross Buns
Delicious brioche style hot cross buns with cardamom and apple. These buns taste as wonderful as they smell. Best served warm straight out of the oven with butter, but you can freeze them to keep the freshness until you need.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bench Time: 1.5 hours + 1 hour
Cook Time: 20 minutes
For the dough
200mls milk, warm but not hot (we love Anchor)
100g golden sugar (we love Chantal Organics)
1 sachet (2 teaspoons) dry active yeast
4 cups plain flour(we love Chantal Organics)
1 ½ tablespoons ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 medium sized apples, cut into small cubes (we love Jazz apples)
2 eggs (we love Woodland free range eggs)
80g butter, melted(we love Anchor)
Extra butter to grease the baking dish
6 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons honey (we love Mother Earth)
1 teaspoon ground cardamom seeds
We baked these yummy hot cross buns in a Le Creuset Signature Cast Iron casserole.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the sugar in the warm milk. Stir in the yeast. Set aside for 10 minutes or until yeast begins to foam.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, cardamom, salt, and apple. Add the eggs, melted butter and yeast mixture and combine using your hands. Knead the dough for 5 minutes or until dough becomes glossy and smooth. Leave to rest for 1.5 hours or until doubled in size.
- Once dough has doubled in size, cut into 12 even portions. Shape into balls and place on a buttered casserole dish or lined baking tray. Cover loosely with a damp tea towel and leave to prove for a further 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 200ºC.
- In a small bowl, mix together the 6 tablespoons of flour, vanilla and 4 -5 tablespoons of water until smooth. Spoon into a piping bag with a small nozzle (or cut a hole in the corner of a plastic bag) and pipe buns with mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 15 -20 minutes or until golden.
- Cool. Once buns have cooled, glaze with liquid honey and cardamom.