Crispy Quinoa Tofu
Quinoa makes the crispy but delicate crumb for this epic tofu dish. Tofu is high in protein, easy to digest and very versatile. This crispy tofu is the perfect veggie alternative for starters, snacks, lunches and party nibbles.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 10 minutes Serves: 4
For the cucumber salad:
A 3cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 small lime, zest grated
1 tablespoon sesame oil
Handful Thai basil & mint leaves, chopped (we love Superb Herb)
For the dipping sauce:
Dumpling Sauce (we love Lee kum kee)
- Place the quinoa, panko, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl and mix well.
- Whisk the egg whites in another bowl until fluffy.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large non-stick fry pan or wok over high heat. Dip the tofu slices in the egg white, press into quinoa mixture to coat, then slide into the hot oil. Deep fry the tofu in batches for 1-2 minutes each side until crisp and golden. Drain on paper towel.
- To make the cucumber salad. Ribbon the cucumber with a peeler. Place the cucumber ribbons in a bowl. Add the lime zest, sesame oil, salt, ginger, Thai basil and mint. Toss well.
- Serve tofu with cucumber salad, garnish with watercress and a small pot of dumpling sauce.