Stuffed Cabbage Leaves
These bundles of cabbage filled with beef sausage meat and rice may be fiddly to make at first, but once you’ve got the hang of rolling them, you will return to them again and again. It is a great way to use the bigger outer cabbage leaves.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
8 large cabbage leaves (we love The Fresh Grower)
For the filling:
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin avocado oil (we love Olivado)
6 beef sausages, skin removed (we love Hellers)
1 onion, finely diced
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon chilli flakes
1 cup passata (we love Chantal Organics)
3 tablespoons Italian parsley, finely chopped (we love Superb Herb)
2 cups cooked long grain rice (we love SunRice)
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add a teaspoon of salt and wilt the cabbage leaves in batches for 30 seconds or so. Refresh the wilted leaves in a bowl of cold water. Drain and spread on a tray, ready for stuffing. Slice hard stalk of cabbage leaves off to make them flatter if any.
- In a deep heavy bottomed saucepan, fry off the onion with paprika and chilli flakes with a dash of avocado oil for 1-2 minutes. Add the beef sausage meat and continue to fry until the sausage meat is all broken up and golden. Pour in the passata, give it a good stir, continue to cook for 5-10 minutes until the liquid is reduced. Mix in the cooked rice. Combine well and set aside.
- To make the garlic yoghurt sauce, mix the yoghurt, lemon juice, garlic and mint. Season with salt.
- Lay a leaf on a flat surface and place a spoonful of filling mixture at bottom end of the leaf, fold in the sides and then roll into a tight log. Repeat.
- Arrange the cabbage rolls on a plate and serve with garlic yoghurt sauce.