Veggie Spiral Filo Pie
Wow your friends with this sensational savoury veggie filo pie! The butternut squash, spinach, tofu and feta filled pie will be just exquisite as the main course of your next dinner party.
Prep Time: 25 minutes Cooking Time: 35 minutes Serves: 6-8
For the filling:
1 small butternut squash, cubed and boiled
3 eggs (we love Woodland)
1 block firm tofu
1 packet baby spinach leaves, washed(we love The Fresh Grower)
1 block feta cheese
A handful basil (we love Superb Herb)
A handful parsley (we love Superb Herb)
1 onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lemon, zest
½ teaspoon nutmeg
For the pastry:
1 egg (we love Woodland)
Extra virgin avocado oil for brushing (we love Olivado)
6 filo pastry sheets, thawed if frozen
Pinenuts (we love Alison’s Pantry)
Sunflower seeds (we love Alison’s Pantry)
A drizzle liquid honey
- Preheat the oven to 200C. grease a flat baking tray.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Fry the onion and garlic until soft. Transfer to a food processor.
- Add the lemon zest, spinach, basil, parsley, nutmeg, tofu, cooked butternut squash, feta cheese, eggs and season.Blitz all of the filling ingredients until roughly smooth.
- Lay a sheet of filo on a clean bench and brush top with extra virgin avocado oil. Top with another sheet of pastry and repeat this process until you have at least 6 layers.
- Spoon filling along the edge of the width of pastry. Roll up like a sausage roll. Brush with egg wash.
- Fold the roll into a spiral and place in the middle of tray. Continue with the next filo roll, adding it to the tin until the tin is full.
- Brush the whole spiral with egg wash and sprinkle with pinenuts and sunflower seeds.
- Bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes until crispy and golden.
- Serve straight out from the oven with a drizzle of liquid honey.