Spiced Dal, Coriander Rice & Tofu Puffs
This flavourful red lentil spiced dal coriander rice dish is a great midweek vegetarian superfood meal.
Prep time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes Serves: 4
For the Dal:
1 tablespoon liquid coconut oil (we love Olivado)
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
2 cups dry red lentils
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons garam masala
½ teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
½ teaspoon red chilli flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1 can (400ml) coconut milk (we love Chantal Organics)
2 ½ cups vegetable stock
1 box (200g) mini tomatoes (we love Beekist)
For the tofu:
Coconut oil for frying
1 pack tofu, cut into small pieces (we love Bean Supreme)
- Heat the coconut oil in a saucepan over medium hot heat. Add the onion, garlic and ginger. Cook for 4-5 minutes until fragrant.
- Add all the spices, salt, lentils, tomatoes, stock and coconut milk. Bring to boil, then lower the heat and simmer, stirring frequently for 25 minutes or until lentils are soft and dal is thickened.
- While dal is cooking, cook the black rice according to the packet instructions. Mix in the coriander, a drizzle of avocado oil and season. Set aside.
- Fry the tofu. Deep fry the tofu in coconut oil in a deep heavy based fry pan or wok until golden. Drain on paper towel.
- Serve the dal topped with tofu puffs with coriander rice on side. Enjoy!