Apple Crumble Cinnamon Scrolls
These little apple crumble cinnamon scrolls are to die for! They take a bit of time but the method is super simple and they are well worth the wait!
Prep Time: 30-40 minutes Cooking time: 25-35 minutes Makes: 12
For the filling:
4 apples, cored and cut into small cubes (we love Jazz apples)
50g butter (we love Anchor)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 packet gingernut biscuits, crushed
Flour for rolling
Butter for greasing the tin and brushing the scrolls
Biscuit crumbs mixed with sugar and cinnamon to sprinkle on top
We baked these scrolls in a Le Creuset 12 cup muffin tray.
- Make the apple filling. Stew the apples, butter and cinnamon in a small saucepan over medium heat until soft, sticky and the liquid is reduced as much as possible. Mash the apples with a fork then set aside to cool completely – best to be refrigerated until adding to the pastry.
- Heat the oven to 200C and grease a 12 hole muffin tray with melted butter.
- Make the scroll dough. In a stand alone mixer with a paddle attachment, pulse process the dry ‘bun ingredients’ with the cubed cold butter until you have a fine crumb. Add the milk and continue to process until a dough is formed.
- Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and give it a gentle knead for 1 minute then leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle roughly 5mm thick. Spread the cold apple mixture all over the dough and sprinkle with biscuit crumbs.
- Roll the long side away from you tightly to form a spiral roll.
- Cut into 12 even slices and place each piece into the muffin tin, spiral facing up. Brush the top with melted butter.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- Sprinkle some biscuit crumbs mixed with sugar & cinnamon while they are still hot.
- Best served warm!