Vegan Tofu Saag & Coconut Rice
Saag is a spinachy green Indian curry. Adding Tofu makes this curry a tasty Vegan feast. Serve with fragrant coconut rice. Yum!
Prep time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes Serves: 4
1 block organic tofu
½ tsp ground turmeric
A drizzle liquid coconut oil (we love Olivado)
For the Saag Curry:
400g baby spinach (we love The Fresh Grower)
A handful fresh coriander (we love Superb Herb)
2 green chilli, halved and seeds removed
2 tbsp coconut oil (we love Olivado)
1 tsp cumin seeds
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
1 small onion, chopped
½ cup mini tomatoes (we love Beekist)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1tsp garam masala
2 tsp sugar
Garlic garlic bread to serve (we love Giannis)
- In a food processor, process together the coriander and spinach.
- Heat a drizzle of coconut oil in a non stick fry pan. Add the tofu. Season with salt and turmeric. Shallow fry the tofu for 2-3 minutes or until golden. Set aside.
- Heat a drizzle of coconut oil in a deep non-stick frying pan over medium hot heat. Add the onion, cumin, garam masala, ginger,garlic, green chili and fry for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the tomatoes, sugar, green mixture, salt, lemon juice. Continue to cook for a further 1-2 minutes. Mix in the tofu and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Toast the shredded coconut on a dry frying pan over low heat until golden brown.
- Heat the rice as per packet instructions. Mix in the coconut, a little coconut oil, some coriander and salt.
- Serve the Tofu Saag curry accompanied by the coconut rice and toasted garlic bread. Enjoy!