Perfect Winter Bacon, Apple & Kale Salad
The perfect winter salad. Fresh leaves of kale, sweet apple and golden crunchy bacon with homemade apple vinaigrette dressing. Perfect served as a light lunch or as a side with your favourite main meal.
Prep time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 5 minutes Serves: 4
For the Salad
- 2 cups kale leaves, torn into small pieces (we love The Fresh Grower)
- 2 apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 rashers streaky bacon (we love Hellers)
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled (we love Mainland)
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup dried cranberries (we love Alison’s Pantry)
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped (we love Alison’s Pantry)
- A handful cress (we love Superb Herb)
For the Vinaigrette Dressing
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (we love Olivado)
- 2 tbsp apple syrup (we love Chantal Organics)
- 1 ½ tsp Wholegrain mustard
- Cook the bacon rashers on a non-stick frying pan over medium hot heat for 4-5 minutes until golden. Drain the excess fat on kitchen towel and slice into small pieces.
- Mix all the ingredients for vinaigrette Dressing. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine salad kale, cress, red onion, bacon, apples, cranberries, walnuts and feta. Pour vinaigrette and toss well. Serve immediately.