Tangy Chicken, Tamarillo & Chilli Curry with Coriander Yoghurt
A refreshing and exotic way to use your tamarillos this season. This tangy and creamy chicken curry is a winter warming sure to impress the whole family.
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 40 minutes Serves: 8
- 10-12 ripe tamarillos
- 1/4 cup avocado cooking oil (we love Olivado)
- 2 brown onions, chopped
- thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 bulb garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 1/4 cup raw sugar (we love Chantal Organics)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes (we love Chantal Organics)
- 2 cans coconut milk (we love Chantal Organics)
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks (we love Waitoa)
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt (we love Anchor)
- large bunch coriander, roughly chopped (we love Superb Herb)
- juice of a lemon or lime
- 2 pouches pre-cooked Basmati rice (we love SunRice)
- For the curry, halve and scoop flesh of tamarillos into a food processor and blend to a pulp.
- Heat oil in a large, deep-sided frying pan and cook the onions for 5 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic and chilli flakes and cook for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the garam marsala, brown sugar and tomato paste and cook another 30 seconds or so.
- Add tamarillos and tinned tomatoes and bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring often until sauce thickens, 6-8 minutes. Add coconut milk and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, approx 20 minutes; taste and season with sea salt. Add chicken and reduce heat to low. Cook, partially covered, until chicken is cooked through, 10-12 minutes. Check seasoning and add more salt if needed.
- Stir yoghurt, a big pinch of salt, lemon juice and coriander in a small bowl.
- Drizzle yogurt sauce over curry and top with extra coriander. Serve with rice.