Quick & Easy Apricot Chicken Casserole Recipe
Apricots go really well with chicken, adding a kind of sweet and sour flavour. This is one of my quick go-to dinners — it uses ingredients you usually have in the pantry and is quick and easy. It freezes and reheats well too, handy for those nights where you can’t be bothered cooking but still want something nourishing.
Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes Serves: 4
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (we love Olivado)
- 1 whole free-range chicken, cut into pieces (we love Waitoa)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato paste (we love Chantal Organics)
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli chicken sauce (we love Lee Kum Kee)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (we love Chantal Organics)
- 1 400g can apricot halved, drained
- 1 cup chicken stock (we love Continental)
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme (we love Superb Herb)
We made this dish in a Le Creuset Signature Cast Iron Round Casserole.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or saucepan and brown chicken pieces for 2-3 minutes on both sides until lightly browned. Set chicken aside.
- Drizzle a little more oil into the same pan and fry onion and garlic until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add back the chicken, along with the tomato paste, sweet chilli sauce, herbs, tomatoes, apricots, water and chicken stock. Roughly break up the apricots with a wooden spoon.
- Stir all ingredients together and partially cover with a lid.
- Simmer on medium heat for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Serve hot with rice, couscous or mash, and greens. Sprinkle fresh thyme on top.