Beautiful Super Green Risotto
This risotto is made with lots of kale, green peas and fresh herbs to make it super green! Topped with a little bacon and a dollop of Greek yoghurt – this mouth watering dish is perfect for lunch or a light dinner with friends.
Prep time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 25 minutes Serves: 4
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive Oil (we love Olivado)
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 100g streaky bacon, cut into small pieces (we love Hellers)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice (we love SunRice)
- ½ cup white wine (we love Giesen Riesling)
- 3 cups chicken stock (we love Simon Gault)
- Black pepper
- 500g fresh green peas, shelled/ or 1 cup frozen
- 2 cups kale (we love The Fresh Grower)
- A handful fresh basil leaves (we love Superb Herb)
- A handful fresh mint (we love Superb Herb)
- ½ cup Greek/plain yoghurt
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese (we love Perfect Italiano)
- A handful of Pea shoots (we love Superb Herb)
- Extra rashers bacon, cooked (we love Hellers)
- We love to serve this risotto with the delightfully crisp Giesen Riesling.
- We cooked the risotto in the Le Creuset Signature Cast Iron Low Round Casserole.
- Heat the olive oil in a large casserole dish over medium high heat. Fry the bacon, onions and garlic for 4-5 minutes until the bacon pieces are slightly brown. Add the rice, stir once, then pour in the wine. Continue to cook for 1-2 minutes. Add chicken stock.
- Bring to boil. Cover the pan with a lid, then turn the heat low and continue to cook for 15-18 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the rice is cooking, make the green puree. In a food processor, blitz the frozen peas, kale, mint and parsley to a smooth puree. Add a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Continue to blitz until smooth.
- When the risotto is al dente, Fold the green puree, grated parmesan and lemon juice into the bacon risotto. Serve with more parmesan cheese, a dollop of yoghurt, some pea shoots and extra bacon.
- Delightfully crisp Giesen Riesling compliments very well with the fresh green flavours of this risotto. Enjoy!