Rainbow Coloured, Delicious Umai Skewers
These Japanese inspired colourful Umai Skewers are the most moreish snack ever. Trust us… you’ll be going back for seconds! They’re delicious, easy and quick to make, perfect for any occasion to have as a starter or snack option.
Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 10 mins Serves: 6+
- ½ cup miso paste
- ¼ cup mirin
- ¼ cup sake
- Red – 1 packet Beekist Jelly Bean Tomatoes
- Orange – 8 Sea Cuisine Raw Whole Tiger Prawns, shelled but head and tail left on
- Yellow – 1 yellow capsicum, big slices
- Green – 8 heads The Fresh Grower sweet stem broccoli
- Blue/purple – 1 Aubergine & 1 Red onion , cubed
- White – 1 block Mainland haloumi, cut in 2cm cubes
- Brown – 100g shiitake mushrooms, halved
- ¼ cup Alison’s Pantry sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tbsp Olivado extra virgin peanut oil, for the grill plate
- We used (soaked) bamboo skewers
- We used a Le Creuset cast iron rectangular grill
- In a bowl combine the miso paste with mirin and sake. Mix well to combine.
- Skewer ingredients on pre-soaked skewers (this stops them burning) and brush the miso mixture all over.
- Preheat the grill or barbeque to 220C.
- Place the skewers on the oiled grill plate.
- Grill for 7-10 minutes, turning often, until cooked and golden. Monitor them as they grill, the tomatoes may be done sooner.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with a cold beer.