Kiwi Favourite Mussel Fritters Recipe
BBQ Mussel Fritters are a kiwi classic and for good reason – they’re delicious! Make these next time you’re having a BBQ and impress the whole family. They’re fresh, light and super yummy.
Prep time: 5-10 minutes Cook time: 10-15 minutes Makes: 12 fritters
- 350-400g mussel meat, from United Fish Co Greenshell Mussels, thawed
- 2 Woodland Eggs
- ¼ cup self raising flour
- ¼ cup Anchor Milk
- 1 large handful Superb Herb Parsley, chopped
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- A drizzle Olivado Avocado Cooking Oil
- A pinch Mrs Rogers Himalayan Pink Salt
- A pinch Mrs Roger Gourmet Peppercorns
For The Aioli
- ½ cup Best Foods Real Mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, halved
Beer Match: Emerson’s Orange Roughy Hazy Tropical Pale Ale
- For the fritters: Scoop out the meat from the shells and weigh 350-400g. Pulse the mussel meat in a food processor until roughly chopped.
- Seperate the eggs into whites and yolks.
- Combine egg yolks, flour and milk to make a batter.
- Mix in the minced mussels, parsley and spring onion. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff and fold into fritter mixture.
- To make the aioli: mix together the mayonnaise and garlic.
- For the BBQ: Heat oil on a BBQ plate or non stick fry pan on the BBQ and place the lemon halves flesh side down until charred. Squeeze juice into mayo, mix and set aside.
- Use a dessertspoon to measure dollops of fritter mixture into the hot oil. Cook on both sides over medium heat until fritters are crispy brown and cooked through.