The international day of the pickle is back for 2019 – and this time the celebrations are being stretched across a whole delicious week.
While International Pickle Day is officially recognised on Thursday, November 14, more than 30 Kiwi eateries are planning some very special menu additions for the week of November 11-17.
Foodies will be able to get themselves into a pickle in a variety of ways this year, with the eateries creating their dishes in conjunction with popular, US, family-owned pickle company, McClure’s Pickles.
Innovative menu items include pickle hot dogs, pickle shakes, pickle pizzas, pickle wontons, deep fried pickles and the pièce de résistance, a limited edition McClure’s Pickle Ice Cream by Duck Island Ice Cream.
Well-known eateries such as Burger Burger will be getting into the spirit of the occasion with a cool-as-a-cucumber selection of pickle-inspired dishes, including The Absolute Wurst (McClure’s Garlic & Dill Whole Pickle, Bratwurst Sausage, Mustard, Tomato Sauce, Fried Onion); Beers and Spears, Burger Burger’s very special pickle-loaded potato skins, a pickle shake and ice cream (made with Duck Island’s McClure’s pickle ice cream) and more. Dishes are available across all five restaurants nationwide.
Meanwhile at Best Ugly Bagel nationwide, Al Brown’s popular Yodi creation is being given the double pickle treatment, with its pastrami, habanero mustard and grilled swiss, topped with double McClure’s pickles. But wait there’s more, with complimentary McClure’s pickles on any of the classic or vege bagel sandwiches.
A plethora of pickle dishes are on offer at Dr Rudi’s Rooftop Brewery; beer battered McClure?s Pickles with marinated Clevedon Buffalo cheese, platters, burgers, pickle pizzas, beers n’ spears and deep fried pickles are available at Wynyard Pavilion, Holy Hop, Sweat Shop Brew Kitchen and Long Bay Surf Club.
Diners will also be able to wash down their snacks with some pickle-inspired drinks, such as Culprit’s Lowdown, a whiskey sour made with pickle brine or a Pickled Bloody Mary at Hamilton’s Haye’s Common.
Not to be outdone, this year’s winner of the Great New Zealand Toastie Takeover, The Hokitika Sandwich Company, will also be offering up ‘The Pickle’, a special sandwich made with fresh ciabatta, house-made mayo, cheese, McClure’s sweet and spicy pickles, mortadella, red onion and mixed greens.
There are 32 participating eateries around the country located across Auckland, Hamilton, Tauranga, Wellington, Christchurch, Hokitika and Queenstown – see below for a full list of eateries.
McClure’s Pickles co-founder Joe McClure says he’s thrilled with how International Pickle Day has been embraced in New Zealand.
“There’s a lot of heritage and tradition attached to our beloved spiced gherkin in America, but we’ve been really impressed with the Kiwi take on the not-so-humble pickle,” he says.
“I hope as many Kiwis as possible make the time to head out and enjoy the incredible dishes, drinks and other treats that have been put together for this week-long celebration.”
The International Pickle Day dishes will be available at participating eateries from November 11-17. For more information about the Pickle Day festivities and giveaways, follow the Facebook or Instagram pages of McClure’s Pickles distributor, Cook & Nelson. #pickledaynz.
2019 INTERNATIONAL PICKLE DAY EATERY OFFERINGS:
Burger Burger (Auckland, Christchurch and Tauranga): The Absolute Wurst (McClure’s Garlic & Dill Whole Pickle, Bratwurst Sausage, Mustard, Tomato Sauce, Fried Onion); a Pickle Pickle Shake Shake; Beer and Spears; Potato Skins served with McClure’s pickles, aged cheddar, freeze-dry pickles, chipotle mayo; Beef & Cheese Potato Skins served with NZ grass-fed beef, McClure’s pickles, aged cheddar, mustard, tomato jam and mayo, and Scooped Pickle Pickle Ice Cream.
Other Auckland eateries:
- Al Brown’s Best Ugly Bagel stores (City Works Depot, Newmarket, Auckland Airport) – Double pickles on the Yodi, pickles. Complimentary McClure’s pickles on any of the classic or vege bagel sandwiches.
- Brothers Beer (City Works Depot) – “The McPickle Wontons” – A triple cheese, pickle, and brisket wonton served with hoisin BBQ beer dipping sauce
- Burger Boy –-Triple Pickle Cheeseburger – a twist on Burger Boy’s classic cheeseburger with McClure’s pickles three ways
- Culprit – The Lowdown; Thomson two tone whisky, McClure’s pickle brine, egg whites, fresh lemon juice and Lowbrow original spice.
- Dr Rudi’s – Beer battered McClure?s Pickles with marinated Clevedon Buffalo cheese, platters, burgers, pickle pizzas, beers n’ spears
- Duck Island Ice Cream – McClure’s pickle ice cream
- Fantail & Turtle – Beers ‘n’ Spears, Pickle Platters
- Holy Hop (Kingsland)– Deep fried pickles
- Little Creatures – McClure’s Pickle Dog complete with a crunchy chickpea batter and sriracha mayo
- Pilkingtons – Two burger creations
- Wynyard Pavilion – Beer battered deep fried pickles with aioli & habanero mustard
- Duck Island Ice Cream – McClure’s Pickle Ice Cream
- Haye’s Common – Pickled Bloody Mary with pickle juice and a fried pickle
- Mizzoni – Cheeseburger pizza featuring McClure’s Pickles
- Mr Pickle – Salmon gravlax, House Pickles, McClure’s x Duck Island Pickle Ice Cream, Lemon Dressing
- The Bearded Weasel – a pickle and peanut sundae with Duck Island pickle ice cream
Tauranga (The Mount):
- Burger Burger – offering above
- Al Brown’s Best Ugly Bagel stores (Te Aro & Wellington Airport) – Double pickles on the Yodi, Complimentary McClure’s pickles on any of the classic or vege bagel sandwiches.
- Grill Meats Beer – Pickle burger and pickle themed snacks
- Park Kitchen – Reuben sandwich with house made pastrami, house made sauerkraut and spicy pickles with swiss cheese on sour dough bread.
- Burger Burger – offering above
- Bacon Bros – Pickle Rick Burger
- The Terrace – Reuben sandwich with Waitaha wagyu house made pastrami, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese and a beer battered McClure’s Pickle on rye
- The Hokitika Sandwich Company – ‘The Pickle’ sandwich; Fresh ciabatta, house made mayo, Barry’s Bay madam cheese, McClure’s sweet and spicy pickles, Euro gourmet meats mortadella, red onion, mixed greens
- Love Chicken – Pickle brined Southern fried chicken burger with loads of pickles & cheese