Beautiful Xmas Dill & Beetroot Salmon Gravlax
Beetroot Salmon Gravlax is a Swedish inspired cured salmon. We make ours with beetroot for a divine colour, as well as vodka and juniper berries for delicious aromatics. Making your own gravlax is cost effective and keeps well in an airtight container in the fridge (for up to a week), meaning you can make this ahead of time for a fuss-free Christmas lunch.
Prep time: 5-10 mins Cure time: 2-3 days
- Side of Regal New Zealand King Salmon, skin on, bones removed
- ½ cup Mrs Rogers Coarse Sea Salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup Superb Herb Dill, roughly chopped
- 2 large beetroots, peeled & grated
- ¼ cup Absolut Vodka
- 2 tbsp Mrs Rogers Juniper Berries, crushed
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- Muslin Cloth
- Cling film
- Food weight (you can use a brick, rock, canned foods etc)
- Combine grated beetroot, salt, sugar, dill, lemon juice and zest, vodka and juniper berries in a large bowl.
- Lay the salmon in a pan lined with muslin cloth, then cover completely with beetroot mix. Wrap in the muslin cloth then cover dish with cling film and place a food weight over the top.
- Place in fridge to cure for 1-3 days. Drain the liquid from the salmon once a day. The salmon should firm up and be stained a beautiful red.
- To serve: Remove cling wrap, cloth and coating. Slice thinly with a sharp knife.
Tip: If you’re using beetroot from the garden, save the leaves for salads and stir fries. They’re packed with iron and are super delicious!