Easy Caramelized Onion & Thyme Quiche
This caramelized onion and thyme quiche is packed with delicious flavours. We love the sweetness of our homemade relish with the pungent thyme.
Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 100 mins Makes: 1 quiche
- 6 eggs (we love Woodland Eggs)
- ¾ cup cream (we love Anchor)
- ¾ cup milk (we love Anchor)
- 2 tbsp thyme, chopped, plus extra for garnish (we love Superb Herb)
- 1 cup tasty cheese, grated (we love Mainland)
- 1 large red onion, cut into eighths
- Salt & pepper
- Savoury pastry (we love Paneton)
For the Caramelized Onion Relish
- 3 red onions, in thin slices
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp multifloral honey (we love Airborne)
- 2 tbsp butter (we love Anchor)
- Salt & pepper
We used a Le Creuset Heritage Pie Dish.
- For the quiche pastry: Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Line a pie tin with greased baking paper. Fill with the rolled savoury pastry, leaving the edges to overhang.
- Prick holes in the pastry with a fork, cover with baking paper and fill with baking beans (or rice) then blind bake for 15 minutes. Remove the baking beans (or rice) and top baking paper and bake for a further 7 minutes, until the pastry starts to golden. Remove from oven, trim the edges while hot and set aside to cool.
- For the caramelized onion relish: Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions, balsamic vinegar and honey and fry for 10 minutes, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper and let cool.
- Turn the oven down to 170C.
- Whisk the eggs, cream and milk together until frothy. Add half of the grated cheese, a pinch of salt and pepper, and thyme, then whisk until combined.
- Spoon the onion relish into the quiche shell, then place the onion segments on top. Pour the egg mixture over, sprinkle with the rest of the cheese and garnish with thyme.
- Bake in the oven for 70-80 minutes until set and golden. Remove and let cool before serving.