Quick & Easy Vietnamese Pickle
Making a veggie pickle doesn’t need to take all day. You can add spices (try cardamom or fennel) or change out veggies for daikon, cabbage, or even beetroots. Eating pickles helps you digest your meal. If spice isn’t for you, simply omit the chillies.
Our pickle is prepared in 30 mins and is the perfect accompaniment for Asian inspired baguettes, stir fries and rice dishes. It also tastes seriously delicious in toasted sandwiches and tacos (basically in everything!) Choose which veggie to go with, or triple the liquid to make a jar of each.
Prep time: 10 mins Pickle time: 20+ mins Makes: 1 jar
For the Veggies (choose 1)
- 2 Carrots, peeled & julienned
- ½ Cucumber, cut into matchsticks, seeds removed
- 5 Radishes, mandolined
For 355ml of Pickling Liquid
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1 cup DYC Spiced Vinegar
- 1 tbsp White Sugar
- 1 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Sesame Oil
- 3 Star Anise
- 1 tsp Ginger, grated
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes
- 1 Green Chilli, cut into rings
- 1 jar
- Put prepared veggies in your clean jar.
- Whisk pickling liquid together until sugar has dissolved.
- Pour pickling liquid into the jar until the veggies are covered. Wait for 20 minutes then serve, or screw on the lid and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.