Mexican Chicken Rice and Bean Bake Recipe
This delicious one pot Mexican chicken rice bake recipe with beans is simple yet full of flavour. Serve with a squeeze of lime and enjoy! Delicioso!
Prep time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 35 minutes Serves: 4
- 8 chicken drumsticks (we love Waitoa)
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed and chopped
- 3cm cube sized fresh ginger, minced
- A handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped (we love Superb Herb)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped (we love Superb Herb)
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 tsp allspice
- 2 tbsp avocado cooking oil (we love Olivado)
- 1 ½ cup long grain rice (we love SunRice)
- 1 can (400g) Black Beans, rinsed and drained (we love Chantal Organics)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Extra coriander
We made this casserole in a Le Creuset Signature Cast Iron Round Casserole.
- In a mortar place the lime zest, ginger, garlic, chilli, allspice, spring onion and coriander and pound with a peste. Add thyme, lime juice, avocado oil and continue to pound to form a paste. Pour over the chicken and leave to marinate for at least 1 hour, or preferably overnight.
- Heat oven to 180C. Heat a drizzle of oil in a deep casserole over medium hot heat. Add the rice and beans, stir, then pour the chicken stock. Arrange the marinated chicken in the casserole.Top with more thyme.
- Cover the pan tightly with a lid and bake in the oven for 30 mins.
- Season with salt, drizzle some avocado oil over the chicken and rice. Fluff up the rice a little with a fork and scatter with extra coriander leaves. Serve with lime wedges.