Sticky Sweet & Spicy Asian Roast Chicken Recipe
Try this roast chicken with a delicious Asian twist! The chicken is poached in soy sauce and spices then roasted with a sticky, sweet and savoury honey oyster sauce glaze. Serve with fragrant coriander rice and steamed greens.
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes Serves: 6-8
- 1 free range whole chicken (we love Waitoa)
To poach the chicken
- 2 cups soy sauce (we love Lee Kum Kee)
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 6 slices fresh ginger
- 2 whole star anise
- 1½ L water
For the glaze
- 1 pack Shanghai Pak Choy (we love The Fresh Grower)
- 500g cooked white long grain rice (we love SunRice)
- Handful of coriander, roughly chopped (we love Superb Herb)
- In a large pot (large enough to poach the whole chicken), mix soy sauce and water. Add garlic, ginger and star anise then bring to boil. Add the chicken, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stand chicken in liquid for 5 minutes. Remove chicken and put on a roasting tray.
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Mix honey and oyster sauce in a small bowl to make the glaze.
- Brush the chicken with the glazing evenly. Put in the oven and bake for 30-45 minutes until golden and cooked through. Blush with more glaze every 10-15 minutes during the cooking.
- While the chicken is in the oven, heat the rice according to the packet instructions and steam the Shanghai pak choy.
- Garnish chicken with coriander and serve hot with rice and steamed pak choy.