Delightfully Boozy Bacon, Cheese & Apple Scones
These scones are delightful. Perfect eaten hot out of the oven with butter. The beer adds a complementary yeasty flavour. Feel free to enjoy these with a cold bevvie – we do love Emerson’s beers!
Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 10-15 mins Makes: 6
- 4 slices free-range Danish streaky bacon (we love Hellers)
- ¾ cup tasty cheese plus extra for topping, grated (we love Mainland)
- 2 small apples, diced (we love Jazz Apples)
- 1 cup beer (we love Emerson’s Pilsner)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder (we love Chantal Organics)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 40 grams cold butter, cubed (we love Anchor)
- Preheat the oven to 220C. Line and grease a baking tray.
- Fry the bacon in a non stick frying pan until crispy, about 5 minutes. Chop into pieces and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the cubed butter and combine with your hands or food processor until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the bacon, diced apple and cheese. Pour in the beer and mix. Knead the dough until smooth and bouncy.
- Spoon the dough one large table spoon at a time onto your baking tray. Top with more grated cheese.
- Bake in a hot oven for 10-15 minutes until golden.
- Serve with butter and your favourite relish or sauce.