Easy Chicken Casserole Recipe
A true winter warmer recipe – a beautiful chicken casserole with mushrooms, thyme and sage. Everyone will smile.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: Approx. 1 hour Serves: 5-6
- 6-8 chicken pieces (we love Waitoa free range)
- 2 tablespoons plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons Olivado Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 250g bacon, sliced
- 1 leek, sliced thickly
- 1 garlic bulb, sliced in half through the middle
- 250g Meadows Mushrooms, portobello, sliced thickly
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 ½ cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme (we love Superb Herb)
- 200g Crème Fraiche
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Canola Oil
- Small bunch sage
- Mashed potato to serve
- Preheat oven to 180° degrees Celcius
- Dust chicken with seasoned flour.
- Heat oil and butter in a large, oven-proof, heavy based pan and cook chicken, turning it as it cooks, until golden (approx. 20 minutes). Set aside.
- Add bacon, leek, garlic and mushrooms and sauté, being careful to keep the garlic bulbs intact. Remove the garlic and set aside with the chicken.
- Add wine and reduce by half. Add stock and thyme and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10-15 minutes then remove from the heat.
- Add crème fraiche and mustard and stir to combine. Nestle chicken and garlic back into to the pan.
- Spoon the sauce over the chicken and bake for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken cooked through.
- Heat oil in a small fry pan and fry sage leaves for a minute or until bright and crispy. Drain on a paper towel.
- Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and garnish with crispy sage leaves.