Mum’s Apple Sponge
For something sweet, it was a hard pick between Mum’s crepes, her sultana cake or the recipe we have chosen. We asked Dad for his favourite and he said without a doubt it’s Mum’s warm and comforting apple sponge pudding.
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 50 minutes Serves: 6
- 770 g Jazz Apples, quartered and stewed
- 250 g Anchor butter, softened
- 3/4 cup golden sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Woodland eggs
- 2 cups Chantal Organics white flour
- 2 tsp Chantal Organics baking powder
- ½ cup Anchor milk
- 6 servings whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 175C. Grease a 26cm x 18cm baking dish. Add stewed apples to the bottom of the dish.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar and stir in the vanilla extract. Add the eggs in one at a time and beat until combined.
- Sift the flour and baking powder and mix in ¼ of a cup at a time. Add the milk to the mix until just combined.
- Heat the apples in the oven for 10 minutes then remove, pour the batter over the fruit and smooth the top. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Serve with whipped cream.