Yummy Apple & Rhubarb Sponge Pudding Recipe
You’ll love this warm and fruity sponge pudding, the perfect Winter to Spring dessert. Experiment with different fruit combinations, even add chocolate chips or sweet spices to the cake batter for a delicious twist!
Serves 4-6 Prep Time 15-20 minutes Cook Time 40 minutes
- 2 cups apple pie filling or apple chunks
- 250g Barkers Rhubarb, Strawberry & Raspberry Fruit Compote
- 125g butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup standard flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp milk (We love Lewis Road Creamery)
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds
- Icing sugar, to finish
- Preheat the oven to 190C fan bake.
- Drain the apple slices, then place into a bowl. Pour over the fruit compote, then use a spoon to stir together. Warm in the microwave and cover to keep warm.
- Put the softened butter, vanilla and sugar into a bowl and beat until pale and creamy using an electric beater or wooden spoon.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Sift in the flour and baking powder, then fold into the mixture, followed by the milk.
- Spoon the warmed fruit into an ovenproof dish, then spoon the sponge mixture over the fruit and spread to cover. Sprinkle with almond slices.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the sponge springs back when lightly touched and the top is golden. Dust with icing sugar then serve immediately.