Upside Down Flourless Orange & Thyme Cake
This cake is sent from the heavens. It’s dense, it’s moist, it’s rich and it’s the most beautiful thing you’ve ever laid eyes on. You’d never guess it was gluten and dairy free!
Prep Time: 2 hours Cooking Time: 1 hour Serves: 8
For the cake batter:
- 2 oranges
- 5 eggs (we love Woodland)
- 225g golden sugar (we love Chantal Organics)
- 300g ground almonds (we love Alison’s Pantry)
- 1 tsp baking powder (we love Chantal Organics)
- 2 tsp thyme – chopped finely (we love Superb Herb)
For the upside down layer:
- 3 blood oranges – peeled and sliced into 1cm rounds (or oranges if you can’t find blood oranges)
- 100g golden sugar
- Coconut yoghurt
- Thyme to garnish (we love Superb Herb)
- For the cake batter: Preheat the oven to 170°C, grease and line a 20cm tin.
- For the cake batter: Put the blood oranges in a pan and cover with cold water, bring to the boil, and cook for 2 hours with the lid on. Drain, discarding water. Place the oranges – skins, pit, fruit and all and blitz in a food processor until smooth. You can then add all the other ingredients to the food processor and mix.
- For the upside down layer, heat the sugar in a non stick fry pan over medium heat until melted and completely golden. Arrange orange slices on the base of the cake tin. Drizzle the caramel evenly into the base of the cake tin.
- Pour the cake mixture over the oranges in the tin and bake for an hour. You’ll know the cake is ready when a skewer inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Serve with coconut yoghurt and garnish with extra thyme.