Hearty Braised Chicken with Salami & Olives
This rich and indulgent chicken, salami and olive casserole dish is packed with flavour and incredibly warming for the heart this winter.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes Serves: 4
- 1 whole plain chicken – cut into 10 pieces (we love Waitoa)
- a drizzle olive oil (we love Olivado)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced (we love The Fresh Grower)
- a handful of rosemary – chopped finely (we love Superb Herb)
- 1 ½ cups salami, diced (we love Hellers)
- 1 cup green olives, pitted
- 1 fresh chilli, sliced thinly & remove seeds
- 1 tsp dried oregano (we love Masterfoods)
- ½ cup dry white wine (we love Brancott Estate)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp flour (we love Chantal Organics)
- 2 cups chicken broth (we love Continental)
- 3 bay leaves (we love Superb Herb)
- 1 lemon, Juice
We used Le Creuset Signature Cast Iron Round Casserole to cook this lovely chicken dinner.
- Preheat oven to 190C. Heat olive oil in a large heavy based casserole over medium heat and sear chicken until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper. Remove cooked chicken and set aside.
- Add onion to the casserole and cook in the rendered chicken fat until brown, stirring, about 4 minutes. Pour in wine and simmer to reduce, scraping the bottom of the pan.
- Add garlic, fennel, rosemary, salami, olives, chilli and oregano. Add tomato paste and cook for 5 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring to incorporate, for another 2 minutes.
- Gradually add chicken stock and stir to incorporate. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until slightly thickened for 2 – 3 minutes. Place the chicken back in the casserole. Add bay leaves and lemon juice.
- Roast the casserole in the oven for 1 ½ hours, basting every 30 minutes, until chicken is very tender. Discard bay leaves. Serve chicken warm, with plenty of sauce.