Farmer’s Lamb Pie
Roast lamb for dinner? Well, this is the perfect recipe for lamb leftovers for work over the following few days. This hearty shepherd’s pie recipe was devised to feed hardworking farmers so you can imagine how grunty and good it is!
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 35 minutes Serves: 4
- 6 potatoes, boiled and mashed with a little milk and butter
- 500g cold cooked leftover roast lamb (Pure South), chopped
- 1 onion, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon Mrs. Rogers mixed herbs
- A handful Superb Herb parsley, chopped
- 1 cup Frozen mixed vegetables, thawed (or leftover vege)
- ¼ tsp Mrs. Rogers ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp Delmaine tomato sauce
- 6-8 rashers of bacon
- ½ cup Mainland grated tasty cheese
Beer Match : Emersons NZ Pilsner
- Boil and mash potatoes with a little milk, butter and seasoning.Set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 220C. Grease an oven pie dish or cast iron pan.
- Line the bottom of the pie dish with half the mashed potatoes like a pastry case.
- Mix together cooked meat, onion, mixed vegetables, herbs, parsley, nutmeg and tomato sauce. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Place meat mixture on top of potato mash in the dish and top with the remaining potato.
- Sprinkle it with cheese, then place bacon rashers across the potato in a lattice pattern.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until heated through and golden brown.
Tip; Serve with salad, fresh wholemeal bread or some steamed veges to create a balanced meal.