How to Make Spicy Prawn Tempura Sushi
Making sushi at home is fun, delicious and affordable. Plus you can add in all your fave ingredients. You may not find tempura in sushi in Japan, but why not?! It works well especially paired with the spicy sriracha mayo.
Prep time: 30 minutes Cooking time: 25 minutes Makes: 3 rolls
For the rice
- 1 cup SunRice Sushi Rice
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
For the filling
- 3 sheets nori
- 1/2 cucumber, in matchsticks
- 1 tbsp Superb Herb Garlic Chives
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut in matchsticks
- 100g Sea Cuisine Raw Prawn Cutlets, tails removed
- 1 Woodland Egg
- 1 cup flour, plus extra for coating
- 1 1/2 cups ice cold soda water
- 2 cups Olivado Avocado Cooking Oil, for deep frying
Spicy Mayo Dip
- 4 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Sriracha sauce
- 1/4 tsp Sesame Oil
- Pickled ginger
- Lee Kum Kee Soy Sauce
- You will need a sushi bamboo rolling mat
- We used a Le Creuset Cocotte Every to cook the sushi rice
- For the sushi rice: Cook rice as per packet instructions
- For the prawn tempura: In a bowl whisk the egg and salt well. Add a cup of flour and pour the icy cold soda water into the bowl and lightly mix (some clumps are fine).
- Heat the oil in a wok. Once the oil is hot (180c), dust prawns in flour then quickly dip in the batter. Carefully slide in the hot oil to cook until the ingredients are cooked through and the batter becomes crispy and slightly golden.
- Fry in batches, using a metal sieve to scoop out extra batter from the hot oil in between batches. Place the cooked tempura on a paper towel lined plate to remove excess from the surface.
- For the spicy mayo dip: whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- To assemble: Place the seaweed on a bamboo mat, then cover the sheet of seaweed with an even layer of prepared sushi rice.
- Layer prawn tempura, carrot, cucumber and garlic chives on the rice, and roll it up tightly. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Use a sharp knife to cut into sushi rounds then serve with spicy mayo dip. Yum!
Try our NZ Sushi 3 Ways;