Humble Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
Described as New Zealand’s most hated vegetable, the poor wee Brussels Sprout is so misunderstood! This recipe will change the way you look at the humble little mini cabbage.
- Dash of Olivado Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cups Brussels Sprouts
- ¾ cup thick cut bacon, cubed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar glaze
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- Cut off the root ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any old outer leaves. Then cut them in half.
- In a large frypan, heat a dash of olive oil then brown the bacon until brown and crispy. Set aside to drain on a paper towel. Remove all but two tablespoons of the bacon fat from the pan.
- In the same pan, add the Brussels sprouts and allow them to caramelise on one side. Add the balsamic glaze, using a spatula to scrape up any brown bits and incorporate them with the Brussels sprouts. Continue to sauté the Brussels Sprouts on high heat for a few minutes, shaking the pan, until they have softened up a bit. Add the brown sugar, almonds and seasoning, followed by the cooked bacon.. Stir until the sugar has completely dissolved and is evenly coating the Brussels sprouts.