Vegan Greek Pita Pockets
It is an exciting time to be a vegan/vegetarian, and it is also a good time not to be. More and more people are choosing the healthier flexitarian diet, reducing their meat intake. Alternative Meat Co.’s plant based meat looks, cooks, and tastes just like the real meat. Here is an easy & flavoursome Greek café style meal recipe, featuring their plant based mince.
Prep time: 10 mins Cook time:15 mins Serves: 4
For the mince:
- 400g Alternative Meat Co Plant Based Mince
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- Olive oil, for frying
- Salt & pepper, to taste
For the Tzatziki:
- 1 1/2 cup Unsweetened dairy free yoghurt*
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/3 cup Fresh mint, & dill, roughly chopped
- 1 Garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 Cucumber, grated with liquid wrung out
- Salt, to taste
- 1/3 cup Pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 Red onion, in thin rings
- 4 Lettuce leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup Fresh mint & dill, for garnish
- 8 Heated pita pockets
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring for about 2 minutes. Add garlic, mince, cumin, paprika and oregano and fry for 6-8 minutes, until the mince is browned and cooked through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl stir tzatziki ingredients together. Season to taste.
- Spread tzatziki in warmed pitas then stuff with mince, pomegranate seeds, red onions lettuce and fresh herbs. Alternatively load all the topping onto warmed pitas. Yum.
*Both soy or coconut options work in this recipe. If non vegan, substitute with Greek yoghurt.