Make mum the most decadent breakfast in bed this Mother’s Day. This wafflegato (a delicious affogato with waffles and all the trimmings) is quick and easy with faux waffles. Be prepared to serve up seconds.
Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: up to 20 minutes Serves: 2
- 2 free range eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- ½ tsp vanilla paste
- ½ cup De’Longhi espresso
- 4 slices Tip Top Supersoft White Toast
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- vanilla bean ice cream
- maple syrup
- coffee beans
- dark chocolate peels
- edible flowers, to garnish
- waffle iron
- We used a De’Longhi PrimaDonna Soul coffee machine
- Using your De’Longhi PrimaDonna Soul coffee machine, make one strong espresso shot. Set aside.
- Faux waffles: Preheat waffle iron. Brush butter on each side of the waffle iron.
- Whisk together milk, espresso coffee, vanilla, salt, egg and cinnamon to form a batter. Soak bread into batter. Toast each slice in waffle iron for 5 minutes, until golden and cooked. * Depending on your waffle maker you may need to grease it between faux waffles.
- Place waffles into serving plates. Top with vanilla ice cream.
- Decadently top wafflegato with optional toppings. Make another shot of espresso coffee and serve alongside.