Baked Chicken with Leek
A hearty chicken dish is perfect any time of year. This casserole recipe is so versatile: a family recipe everyone will love; great for a pot luck dinner get-together; or in cooler months, just ideal. It’s an all-round winner!
1/4 cup plain flour
8 chicken thigh fillets, trimmed, halved crossways
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 leek, halved, washed, sliced
4 rashers bacon, rind removed, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup white wine
100g button mushrooms, sliced
100g green beans, trimmed, halved
1 cup couscous
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place flour in a large plastic bag and season with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken and shake to coat. Remove chicken from bag, shaking off any excess flour.
- Heat butter and oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Cook chicken, in batches, for 3 to 4 minutes each side or until golden. Remove to a plate.
- Add leek, bacon and garlic to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until leek is tender.
- Add 2 cups stock, wine and mushrooms. Bring to the boil. Remove from heat. Transfer mixture to an ovenproof dish.
- Add chicken. Cover and bake for 35 minutes. Remove cover and add beans.
- Cover and cook for a further 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Pour remaining 1 cup stock into a saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil.
- Place couscous in a heatproof bowl. Pour stock over couscous and stir to combine. Cover and stand for 4 to 5 minutes or until stock is absorbed. Stir gently with a fork to separate grains.
- Spoon couscous into bowls. Spoon over chicken casserole and serve.