What a treat. Here's a beautiful beef and blue cheese pie recipe which will change the way blue-cheese-haters look at the gorgeous food treat that is blue cheese. We use a sturdy Le Creuset casserole dish to create the pie filling. Perfect.
- 500 g chuck steak cut into evenly sized chunks
- ¼ cup plain flour
- Dash of Olivado avocado cooking oil
- 1 small leek halved and sliced
- 2 celery sticks roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups beef stock
- 50 g blue cheese
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 150 °C. In a bowl, place the flour and steak. Use your hands or a spoon to toss the beef in the flour.
- Heat a cast iron or baking dish on the stove to a medium temperature. Heat a generous splash of the avocado oil, then fry the pieces of steak until golden brown on all sides. Remove from the dish and set aside.
- Leave the remaining oil in the pan, and add the leek, celery and crushed garlic. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until softened slightly, then lower the heat and stir in the tomato paste and worcestershire sauce, followed by the beef stock.
- Add the beef back into the dish, stir to combine, then cover with a lid and place in the oven to cook for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the stew from the oven, then increase the oven temperature to 200 °C.
- Spoon the beef into a pie dish, then sprinkle the blue cheese over the top. Lay your pastry sheet over the top of the pie, pinching or folding/tucking in the edges to seal.
- Brush the pastry with beaten egg, then sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake in the oven for a further 20-25 minutes towards the bottom of the oven, until golden brown and puffed.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!