With the colder months upon us, it's time to get your slow-cooker or pressure cooker out and give this chocolate lamb shanks recipe a try. Quick to assemble, you can put it on in the morning and come home to a hearty meal with melt in your mouth meat. Serve with crusty bread or a creamy mash to soak up the rich sauce.
- 4 Pure South Lamb Hind Shanks
- 3 tbsp Olivado Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Onion diced
- 3 Garlic cloves crushed
- 2 cups Beef stock
- 1 cup Red wine
- 1 tbsp Chantal Organics Tomato Paste
- ¾ cup Chantal Organics Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Chilli powder optional
- 1 Cinnamon quill
- 1 Red chilli chopped (optional)
- ½ Orange juice and grated zest
- 20 g Dark chocolate shaved
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crusty white bread
- Add oil to a large deep frying pan over high heat. Sear the lamb shanks until browned, in batches, then set aside. Turn the heat down to medium, add extra oil if needed, then add onion and garlic to the pan. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring often.
- Place the lamb shanks in a pressure cooker bowl with bone sticking upward. Add the rest of the ingredients, so the lamb meat is covered. Cook for 45 minutes. The shanks will cook beautifully - meat easily pulls off the bone. If you are using a conventional slow cooker, cook on High for 4 hours or on Low for 8 hours.
- Remove cinnamon quill then season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with crusty white bread or your favourite sides.
We love a good creamy mash or smashed root vegetables on the side. The chocolate is subtle in this recipe so feel free to increase the amount of chocolate you put in or remove it completely if you prefer.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!