This rich and creamy chicken soup is packed with lovely vegetables and hearty lentils; a well-rounded and delicious meal for the family! Recipe by our favourite Nadia Lim.
- 250 g streaky bacon diced
- 1 onion diced
- 2 large or 4 small carrots peeled and diced or grated
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 1 leek top removed, thinly sliced
- 450 g Waitoa Free Range chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- 2 tbsp Superb Herb fresh thyme chopped
- ½ cup split red lentils
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pot on medium to high heat. Add bacon and cook for about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add onion, carrots, celery and leek. Stir, cover and cook for 4–5 minutes, stirring occasionally until vegetables are just tender.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt. Add to pot with thyme, lentils, stock, water and salt and bring to a simmer while stirring. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer gently for 15–20 minutes until chicken is cooked and lentils are tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken from soup, roughly dice or shred and return to pot. Stir in sour cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!