To combat the cold weather, we have delicious hearty soup simmering in the kitchen . This is an easy and economical corn chowder recipe using only the usual stock items in your pantry.
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 stick celery chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 medium potato
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tin sweet corn cream style approx. 400g
- ½ cup whole corn kernels tin or frozen
- salt and pepper
- fresh chives or parsley and crackers to serve
- Heat olive oil in a pot on medium heat. When the oil is warm add onions and celery into the pot. Stir fry gently and slowly until verges are sweaty and soft. This takes about 5 minutes. Slow and gentle cooking here brings out the sweetness and flavour of the vegetables.
- Sprinkle flour and mix well – try not to burn
- Add whole contents of cream sweet corn followed by milk. Pour milk into the emptied corn tin to use up any corn left in the can.
- Peel the potato and cut into 11/2 m cubes and add to the pot. Bring to boiling point, and then reduce the heat down to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potato is soft but keeping the shape. Stir often to prevent the soup sticking to the pot.
- Add corn kernels and heat up.
- Season with salt and pepper (I use white, but you can use black if preferred). Serve with some chopped fresh chives or parsley and crackers.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!